I tried using oils for the first time last night on a new car that I’ve been working on building. And I must say that I am impressed with the ease of use and the ease of working with weathering, especially for rust, in this medium. I really wish that I have gotten into this medium earlier. To be honest I was afraid of committing to it because of the sense of not being able to go back, and of course the smell. But what I’ve found is quite the opposite. Smell is not an issue. Using odourless solvent, and a little common sense no one in the home has complained once. As for cleanup – same thing. Easy to reverse course and back the weathering out. Still learning though.
For a larger view of the image go here –> – once on the page click the image to bring it out to 1024 pixels wide.
Really quite pleased so far and look forward to posting more photos as I roll forward with the weathering scheme. I did find an image last night on the web of a similar car in the same basic time range that I am modelling mid 1970s but it has friction bearing trucks, the only 70 ton trucks I have on hand are roller bearing trucks so I may have to change these out for another pair before it is released to traffic.