Horse Tram No 1

Horse Tram No. 1

Built in 1887 by Duncan and Fraser of Adelaide for the ‘Ballaarat Tramway Company Ltd.’ as a double-deck horse tramcar. Number 1 is the only surviving Ballarat Horse tram. One of a few operable double-deck horse trams in Australia of an original form. After the takeover of the Horse tramway by the Electric Supply Company of Victoria Ltd. in 1905, Number 1 was one of only eight Horse Tram cars used as trailers behind the electric trams at times of heavy passenger loads, what today we would call crush loads. When all the Horse Tram cars were withdrawn in the 1920’s Horse Tram number 1 was sold to a local family. The body of the tram was converted to a residential outbuilding in one of Ballarat’s suburbs. There she remained until the family offered the museum the opportunity to retrieve her in 1985. Reconstructed to her original form by the museum’s volunteers between 1985 and 1992, Number 1 sits on a modified Melbourne saloon cable car truck. Returned to service each year, usually the weekend before Australia Day each year, Number 1 is one of Australia’s oldest working trams.

2017 Running Day – Sunday, January 22

Advertisements